Monday, November 27, 2006

Turkey Day Fun


I had an awesome Thanksgiving Holiday racked up just under 700 miles on the old Pontiac. We began our trip Wednesday and headed out to my father-in-laws thanksgiving jamboree or as my brother and his wife refers to it “Emmett and Otters Live Jug Band Thanksgiving.” They call it this because most of the their family are musically inclined in the bluegrass arts; this includes the mandolin, fiddles, guitars, harmonicas, banjos, spoons, and a variety of other musical instruments I am unable to identity. This would be my first time celebrating Thanksgiving with them and I was a little worried about it at first, I am not a fan of lots of people so the 150 people that normal show up had my shaking in my booties. What I forgot is that older people can cook and Thanksgiving one of those holidays where they pull out all the stops. There was some really great food there and I spent most of my time eating pecan pie. When everyone’s belly was full it was time to break out the moonshine and start the singing. I must say nothing brings out the Johnny Cash in me quite like some homemade whiskey, and before long I was shaking my leg and getting down. I can’t wait for next year and came back with lots of recipes and will start making my own whisky soon.

7 comments:

Mimi said...

Now that is a Thanksgiving! 150 people????

Breezy said...

it was not 150 people dan! it was more like 100...you like to exaggerate too much

Phats said...

OMG I love emmit otter's jugband, can I come next year!!! Who would notice one extra person?

cybercasey said...

You certainly had a grand time on Thanksgiving...and with Thanksgiving we have started our holiday celebrations....now the time for more fun and frolic is approaching...it's the time to enjoy with friends and family and just have a grand time....and hey to grab some more fun and cheer of the holidays do drop by my Holiday Blog sometime and enjoy all it's got to offer!!!!

Anonymous said...

I quit drinking whiskey since I fell into a burnin ring of fire one time..

TheHamburger said...

Dan: Tell me you dig the movie Deliverance? Come on...

:P fuzzbox said...

Next time try to save some of that 'shine.