Monday, January 08, 2007

We Are Marshall


We Are Marshall a chick flick for guys. In 1969 Marshall University lost 55 football players, almost the entire coaching staff and several other members of the community bringing the death total to 75 in a fiery plane crash. This movie covers that fateful day, the rebuilding of the program, and the struggle of the survivors. The movie was well written and the acting was suburb. The movie is not so much about football as it is about the lives of the people left behind. You cheer for Marshall, but for the most part you cry with them. In a theater packed with guys it was strange to hear sniffles or the fake cough to covering it up. I will admit a few tears touched my cheeks as I faced a losing battle holding them back. I dare anybody to not let at least a few fall as Ruffin breaks down or Coach Rhett falls apart. If you don’t get a little choked up you have no heart. The movie was stellar and was more an experience then an actually movie screening. I recommend the movie highly, but beware you will tear up and plan accordingly. Your girlfriend may appreciate seeing your sensitive side or she may just laugh at you. In the end you’ll know

We are…. MARSHALL!

7 comments:

Breezy said...

aww, now i wish i had gone!

rockyjay said...

Thanks for warning. I need to practice my "popcorn in eyes" routine.

"I'm NOT crying, but those popcorn were salty, now I have it all over my eyes, GOSH!"

Anonymous said...

Did you just say that the "acting was suburb"? Like, the outlying area of an urban living environment?

I'm pretty sure you meant "superb". That must be some West Texas word substitution I haven't heard of.

Metal Mark said...

Marshall University sure turned it around as they were a real powerhouse in the late 80's and early 90's. Then they went through another trying time. Yeah, that would be when Randy Moss played there.

:P fuzzbox said...

I will have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

a chick flick for guys huh?
well ok then, i'll go see it and drag my man with me.

m

Anonymous said...

you should get yourself a "swiki".

http://swickihome.eurekster.com/share.htm?gid=3dcd3979-3b27-43a5-8f32-db1b41415ff2

this is not spam . . just a suggestion. it does help my own swiki though if you were to put one up on your blog.