Friday, April 13, 2007

Leadership

Benny: The Man on the Bus

I`ve been taking a public bus for years. No one ever talked to anyone else. About a year ago, an elderly man got on the bus and said loudly to the driver, "Good morning!"

Most people looked up annoyed. The bus driver just grunted.

The next day, the man got on at the same stop and again said loudly to the driver, "Good morning!"

By the fifth day, the driver greeted the man with his own "Good morning."

The man answered loudly, "My name`s Benny. What`s yours?"

The driver replied, "I`m Ralph."

That was the first time any of us had heard the driver`s name. The next day, Benny extended his "Good morning!" to the whole bus. Within a few days, others were saying it to Ralph when they got on the bus, and Benny`s regular greeting was returned by a whole bunch of "Good morning!" responses. People began to talk to each other. The bus was friendlier.

If a leader is someone who makes something happen, Benny was our leader in friendliness.

A month ago, he didn`t get on the bus anymore. Some of us thought he had died. No one knew what to do. The bus got awful quiet again. So I started to act like Benny and said, "Good morning!" to everyone, and they cheered up again.

I guess now I`m the leader.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for taking that step. It's tough to get out of our comfort zone sometimes but, mostly, it's well worth it. :)

Hope Benny didn't die.

-Some Mexican Chick

Mimi said...

Touching story. Since it was coming for you I was wondering if there was gonna be a punchline;-) I hope Benny is okay.

Crazy Dan said...

Anon - I know maybe I should run for congress or something.

Mimi - Waht am I some sort of clown?